Legislative / Advocacy
Legislative/Advocacy Chairperson: Ms. Pat Buchanan
LRA State Chairperson: Ms. Michelle Cardonella 985-845-4803
Government Relations Committee
1. Develop a system to collect information about emerging needs in the literacy community that can be turned into legislative action.
2. Collaborate with the Title I Committee to monitor Title I legislation and support related advocacy efforts.
3. Working with staff, provide a support system for state-level grassroots advocacy which includes:
a. the development of models for states wanting to increase their level of involvement in advocacy; and
b. the development of brief talking point papers for influencing legislative action.
4. Assist the LRA in the implementation of legislative workshops when appropriate.
5. Work with staff to continue the Advocacy Awards program.
6. Work with the LRA and a select group of IRA Board members to identify legislative issues and set priorities. This should be done once a year.
International Reading Association Chairperson:
Linda E. Hardison,
6521 NC Hwy. 705
Robbins, NC 27325
For the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education
Dr. James Stafford
2139 Maywood Drive
Monroe, Louisiana 71201
Meeting held usually last week of the month. Committee meetings are on Tuesday and Wednesday, with the full board meeting on Thursday from 9:00-11:00 A.M.
Michelle Cardaronella, LRA Legislative Advocacy Chairperson requests volunteers to attend scheduled legislative sessions.
Last Updated 4/17/09 11:15 pm by Site Administrator